Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clutch B

The Big Book pretty much says it all in the forward to the first edition:

"We, of Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book."
I don't think anybody finds this method pleasant. I certainly don't find it pleasant either! There's nothing comfortable about it. I'd LOVE to find an easier, softer way. But it works for alot of people.

My fiance is about to complete 20 years of sobriety. He did it by working these steps and helping other alcoholics work through these steps. He isn't just sober, but he's HAPPY and at peace, living a fulfilled life.

I just haven't heard about any other recovery program that provides similar results. That doesn't mean there aren't any -- I'm sure there must be some.

So for me personally, I'll stick with what works for so many people. I've seen it work. I would be afraid to risk my life (and the lives of others) on something that might not work.

But I wish the best for you with whatever you choose. There is more than "one way" -- AA is just "a way". I hope you find something that works for you!

(All Big Book quotes are from the First Edition of the Big Book)