View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mariel95

No More Letting Go

I tried to post this awhile ago but it doesn't seem to have gone through so I'll try again. I've read this book and recommended it to families who were dealing with addiction. I think it's one of the best things around. I'm a therapist and have worked a lot in the addiction field. This book basically says you don't have to wait until the entire family is destroyed because of one person's addiction before setting boundaries. She recommends what alanon does in terms of detachment but she also gives examples and explains why bailing out the alcoholic and addict isn't helpful.
I think it's particularly relevant today when so many young people are starting so early that we have full blown addicts in their teens. She talks a lot about interventions which ends up being one option and one other is that the alcoholic or addict is no longer being supported and bailed out as long as they continue to drink and/or use.
So many families are destroyed waiting for the alcoholic or addict to hit bottom. This is about saving the family and not sacrificing it to the disease.

I sometimes think it would be nice to be able to download my experiences into the head of the still suffering alcoholic and somehow make it easier for them to understand the incredible joy of sobriety.

I just joined this evening and I thank you all for letting me share.