Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Summer2008

Hi VTSister,

I went through something similar only it was with my oldest son who is 30. He HAD a job at a manufacturing plant, paid weekly, benefits, made several dollars an hour above minimum wage and got two weeks paid vacation a year and had weekends off. My Son barely graduated high school (has ADD) so the job was a good fit for him. The only downside in my son's opinion was the time he had to be at work. (7:00 a.m.) He says he's not a morning person.

Anyway the plant he worked at has a point system that is used to track attendance. I work at the same place except I do payroll and I am the one that gives or takes away points based on company policy.

Based on policy if you are late - that is 1 point, if you are more then 15 minutes late that is 2 points, if you call out that is 4 points, however if you go two weeks without any attendance issues 1 point is subtracted. If you get 16 points you are given a written notice, if you get 26 points you are given a second notice, if you get 30 points you get a 3 day suspension and at 36 points you are terminated. Every employee knows what their points are because it is on their check.

When my sons points were getting rather high, I suggested he stay with me during the week (he has his own place) and he could ride to work with me and that way he would get to work on time. He did this for a while and decided he could get up on his own so he returned to his own place. We repeated this cycle several times over the last year.
Every time he returned home he would go a few days and manage to get up for work then he'd wind up being late for work and his points would go up again.

The last time he stayed with me I told him he could stay as long as he wanted however once he returned home that would be the last time because I was not having a swinging door policy for him.

As you may have guessed he returned home and his points would up reaching termination level. In addition he was behind on his rent and wound up getting evicted. I am the only family my son has other then a younger brother.

The guilt was eating me alive but I knew I could not allow my son to stay with me anymore. He is never going to learn to take on responsibilities and grow up as long as I was enabling him.

For now my son has a friend that is letting him stay with him until my son can get on his feet. I made the choice to have little contact with my son until I know I am strong enough to not give in and allow him to move in with me.

Do what you need to do in order to allow your brother to have the opportunity to learn to stand on his own two feet.