Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chopsy73

Same boat!!

Hi there, i registered purely to see if i could help as i am going through the same situation with my brother.

After reading replies to your cry for help i felt i should join to let you know what i have done for my brother.......basically he lost his job too after blacking out and not making it back to work, he ended up in hospital i only know this as he couldnt and i spotted the ECG tabs on his body and had to give a taxi driver his love his guitar as payment, i begged for his job back and they gave him one more try.....and failed he locked himself in the toilet at work all afternoon drinking and was slurring etc, so they had enough and sacked him, now as he is a relative i cannot get housing benefit for him....he has luckily secured a job for this monday but as i pointed out if he goes in smelling of drink and slurring he will be sacked from new job!!! told him i cant afford to fund him as i have a big mortgage and can hardly pay my bills mortgage and food let alone him, soooo...asically said to him while under my roof you get help from doctors, made him an appointment, got him down there, went in with him, they have now got him into a support group for assessment but this is 5 days away (2 days after he starts new job)

I told him if he messes up this new job he will be homeless and i have to be tough on this, i have told him i will support him but he has to want to try and he is, he is so desperate to change and has now not drank for 2 days, and is now experiencing the DTs.....doctor has NOW given him some meds to ease the dangerous symptoms of withdrawal and i have to administer these drugs.....basically he has nothing to sell now to get next drink neither can he steal off me as i have locked everything away, and he knows that this is it now .......if your brother will not abide by your rules whilst under your roof then get him out, either tell him that he needs to seek help and go with him even if it means you have to do the leg work because i know how u feel, u dont want to see him on streets but ifyou give him these rules and is willing to do what it taes then you can help him, if he doesnt make an effort and go to doctors and join a group and try then you can do no more and it will be worse for you and your family stress wise, i hope this helps