View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
lizw
God's Kid

Last night I was thinking that if I went to the Doctors and he said I had cancer, I wouldn't tell him what treatment I needed, but 1000's of drinking alcoholics attend AA each day, internationally, and think they can tell AA how and what they need to get sober.

And I understand this. It seems rather odd that putting out chairs at meetings, writing an inventory and making amends will set a person on the road to soberity. Logically it just doesn't make sense despite the fact other members who are sober are living proof.

I'm still willing to admit that I wouldn't know a good thing or a bad thing if it bit me on the a** but what I do know is that when I admitted I was drinking to feed my disease, not because I felt happy or sad, had a good day or a bad day, my parents loved me or they hated me - when I put all question of morals or lifestyle choices aside and admitted I had a mental illness, I didn't want to drink anymore and I become willing to do whatever it took to achive this.

Luckily for me, I didn't have much left to loose in any area of my life but in recent times after taking a look at another area of my live I have learned how hard it is to give something up, when I still think I have other options and/or other ways of dealing with something, instead of admitting powerlessness. Material assests play a huge role in this for me too. I.e. i can't be doing too badly as I can still pay the rent etc... And I feel sorry for people who come to AA with the idea that for some outward reason, they think the can control their drinking then loose everything in AA since they can't get or stay sober.

I thank god I never had anything when I got sober, as it probably would have killed me. I honestly believed AA was the last stop on the block.

A friend of mine says "AA is an attractive alternative to death."
And I really understand that statement.