View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
benita

me too

Add me to the list... I started taking Benadryl because I was dating someone who had cats that I was allergic to, and Benadryl seemed to do the trick on the nights when I'd stay at her place. But I needed to take them every couple hours to keep the allergies away. Eventually I started taking them anytime an allergy anywhere even remotely started (I wouldn't leave home without them in my purse), and then every night to sleep. This is disturbing because I have 8 very strong years of recovery, and I'm not willing to change my sobriety date over some allergy pill, but it really doesn't seem like sober behavior. I no longer take the pill, but am thrown off by the whole thing. And I didn't even realize that I was addicted. But now that I'm off of it, I have horrible insomnia that is driving me crazy. I didn't realize how dependent I had become. I'm also bothered by allergies still that are incredibly disruptive to my life, but am afraid to take anything for them since clearly my personality is so addictive I can get hooked on anything. I remember when I was about 8 yrs old, I got hooked on dimatap - this reminds me of that time period. I hate this.