Thread: Is it just me?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tormented22267

Is it just me?

Does it bother anyone else how much alcohol is pushed in the faces of people every day? I'm not talking about just living with or being in a relationship with an A, but just in general.

I took my son to dinner last night. We sat down and the drink menu was centered in the table as the first thing we should look at. The waitress comes over and the first thing she tells me is that the Quervo Margaritas are on special. Yeah, because I want to down a couple margarits, then drive my son home... Then, I go home and while watching tv last night, saw at least 3 different alcohol commericials - trying to make it look sexy and fun.

Now, I'm not a prude, I enjoy an occasional drink now & then, and I'm not saying alcohol should be made illegal or anything. I'm just surprised that it's still being marketed as strongly as it is. I compare it to smoking a little. It's legal, but very bad for you, and they don't advertise it anymore. They don't have commercials showing how 'sexy' or 'fun' smoking is anymore. They have non-smoking sections, and even non-smoking restaurants now. There's at least an effort being made to say 'yeah, you can smoke if you want to, but it's bad for you, you're killing yourself and others'.

Why haven't they at least made an effort to do that with alcohol? With all the alcohol related deaths each year, alcohol related car accidents that kill people, suicide rates among alcoholics, child abuse at the hands of alcoholics, and children born with fetal alcohol syndrome - why aren't they at least trying to do more?

How about, at the very least, stop airing alcohol commercials? Or stop putting out drink menus in restaurants. If people want to drink, they know what to order. Or stop having drink specials at restaurants; I'm sure the last thing a recovering A wants to hear is 'hey, the margaritas are on special tonight, want one?? People are looked 'down' upon now a days for smoking - but there is still absolutely no stigma associated with drinking. That just amazes me.

Sorry, I'm rambling a little. And I maybe this post shouldn't even be in the F&F forum, but I was just wondering if this ever bothered anyone else considering how negatively alcohol has impacted all of our lives.