Is it just me?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it just me?

Does it bother anyone else how much alcohol is pushed in the faces of people every day? I'm not talking about just living with or being in a relationship with an A, but just in general.

I took my son to dinner last night. We sat down and the drink menu was centered in the table as the first thing we should look at. The waitress comes over and the first thing she tells me is that the Quervo Margaritas are on special. Yeah, because I want to down a couple margarits, then drive my son home... Then, I go home and while watching tv last night, saw at least 3 different alcohol commericials - trying to make it look sexy and fun.

Now, I'm not a prude, I enjoy an occasional drink now & then, and I'm not saying alcohol should be made illegal or anything. I'm just surprised that it's still being marketed as strongly as it is. I compare it to smoking a little. It's legal, but very bad for you, and they don't advertise it anymore. They don't have commercials showing how 'sexy' or 'fun' smoking is anymore. They have non-smoking sections, and even non-smoking restaurants now. There's at least an effort being made to say 'yeah, you can smoke if you want to, but it's bad for you, you're killing yourself and others'.

Why haven't they at least made an effort to do that with alcohol? With all the alcohol related deaths each year, alcohol related car accidents that kill people, suicide rates among alcoholics, child abuse at the hands of alcoholics, and children born with fetal alcohol syndrome - why aren't they at least trying to do more?

How about, at the very least, stop airing alcohol commercials? Or stop putting out drink menus in restaurants. If people want to drink, they know what to order. Or stop having drink specials at restaurants; I'm sure the last thing a recovering A wants to hear is 'hey, the margaritas are on special tonight, want one?? People are looked 'down' upon now a days for smoking - but there is still absolutely no stigma associated with drinking. That just amazes me.

Sorry, I'm rambling a little. And I maybe this post shouldn't even be in the F&F forum, but I was just wondering if this ever bothered anyone else considering how negatively alcohol has impacted all of our lives.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

tormented:

I agree totally. I would say we are a little sensitive to the topic of alcohol because of our personal experience with it and the negative effects of it.

But i've said before that we live in a society (and a world?) that enables drinking/addiction. You make a good point about the waitress offering you a drink when it's obvious you're the designated driver at the table. And I envision a society someday that treats alcohol the same way we treat smoking. Nicotine addiction may cause health problems, but alcohol does that and more by destroying souls and the souls of families who live with it as well as criminal issues with vehicular deaths/maimings, etc. Nicotine addiction, as far as i know, does not do any of those things...

I could go on. i'm sure others will come with different angles on it.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Alcohol business is big $$$$$ just like smoking. I am old enough to remember when the first line in every soap opera scene was "would you like a drink?" Things have actually improved, in the 60's and early 70's people didn't think twice about drinking at lunch and office meetings, or drinking and driving! Just like smoking the glamorization of drinking will end when it costs the insurance companies enough.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

I also totally agree with you. In fact, many times while watching TV, I see alcohol commercials, beer in nice, frosty glasses, making it look appetizing to even a non-alcoholic! Or the rum commercials, people dancing and making it look all fun and classy. Making it look like alot of fun! Then of course, the line "drink responsibily". Yeah, try telling an alcoholic that. I think they should be banned!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its big business. That's the bottom line. Restaurants make a whole lot more per drink than they do on food. Bars make lots of money off alcohol. THe distillers, wineries and breweries make lots of money. TV stations, magazines, etc make lots of money off the advertising.

Until the world decides to get out of denial and deal with the reality of alcoholism and the vast destruction it causes, it will not change.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a section in "Beyond the Influence" devoted to this topic.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

There was a similar discussion not long ago here, the link is below and this is what I put...

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
When will they make it illegal to advertise alcohol in the same way the did for tobacco products.

Tobacco companies can now no longer advertise on TV their products nor can they sponsor sporting competitions or teams. All because the world woke up to how harmful and addictive nicotine is. There is even talk now of limiting the display of tobacco in shops so it is not easily visable on display, to aid the plight of teenage smokers.

When will they wise up to alcohol?

I remeber when I lived with my abf, I developed an intense hatred for all things alcoholic. It struck me during this time that there was sooo much advertising space dedicated to alcohol. It made me so very annoyed.

I would wager there is just as many if not more people around the world suffering from alcohol addiction and related issues (friends & family) as there is smokers; plus it is just as harmful to drink around children (although physicaly I guess it doesn't cause organ problems).

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-sales.html

I completely agree with you!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Lily. I'm sorry, I should have looked back farther in the posts, I didn't realize this was discussed already.

At least I know I'm not alone in my thinking.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No, you're not alone. I'm pretty tired of the whole you-need-alcohol-to-have-fun thing, myself. It's like a broken record that won't quit playing. I guess because people keep listening, and keep spending money. Maybe some day some day things will be different. But for now, I'm glad I see the whole game, and I'm not blind to it like I used to be. Just like cigarette companies, alcohol producers see you as a consumer with a pulse, not as a person. They're perfectly willing to let you die as a result of their product; they know there will be others who'll come along to take your place.

Happy weekend, tormented!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by tormented22267 View Post
...I'm sorry, I should have looked back farther in the posts, I didn't realize this was discussed already.
Tormented, you have absolutely no reason to apologise! You did not do any thing at all wrong, you have resurrected a discussion that is IMHO a very important one that should be addressed by society. We are all of us so influenced by advertising, the subliminal messaging that surrounds us today affect us when we are not even aware of it.

We need to keep assessing what is out on display to our minds, especially those of children who are so niaive and gullable to suggestion. We talk in recovery of how our 'family of origin' has affected our thought process, how the lessons we learnt subliminly or consiously limit our ability to lead healthy lives today. Unfortunately, with TV so wide spread and lots of children spending enormous amounts of time glued to the box, TV has become another contributor to our family of origin messaging. JMO.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ma'am,

Most of what other people have said is correct. Alcohol is extremely big business and is promoted everywhere it can be. Moreover, most people are not alcoholic, or do not know an alcoholic, and many are not even familiar with it or its effects. Whereas most smokers end up dying from tobacco-related illness, many moderate drinkers suffer few or no serious consequences from their drinking. Thus they feel that it is not a bad thing that alcohol is so widely available; I mean, after all, what's the big deal?
One thing to be grateful about, is that the United States is probably the driest of any industrialized country. Europeans, Canadians, Australians, and Mexicans drink far more than Americans, in fact in most foreign countries you do not even need a license to sell or serve alcoholic beverages. Although AA has a presence in all of those countries, it is much less institutionalized, and RA's have a much tougher time than they do in the US. So its just food for thought.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
gns

I have a slightly different opinion. Although we have all seen damage from alcohol, it is not the substance itself that is universally bad. Just last night I enjoyed a great glass of red wine with my linguini pasta and I do so at least once or twice a week. Many of you probably do (or did), too.

Cars cause lots of damage, too, but it is not the cars that are inherently dangerous, it how we use them. My ex used sudafed, prescription drugs, whipped cream cans, anything he could get his hands on for his high - it was his him, not the sudafed that was a problem.

(Please don't take my syrah from me!!)
Old 09-13-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you are with your A it is the perfect time to find out how they are doing with it. It didn't seem to bother my wife all the time but a few times she had a problem with it. If they are in recovery you can talk with them.