Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Just a wee background from me first-----I worked both the AA and NA programs as an Atheist (yes, there's a lot of 'God' mentioned in both, but it can be done as an Atheist.....not only I, but most of my close friends in recovery, we all got clean/sober w/o the use of any external, supernatural.....etc. HP, whether called 'God' or not.

Now, as for the 'friends and families of.....' you wrote....."

"...I have heard about NarAnon's connections to Scientology and balk a bit at the AlAnon's 12 steps referring to God..."

I used to get NarAnon confused with Scientology's recovery groups, which are called.....: NarConon (matter o fact, I just had to do a quick look-up just to make sure I got them put in their proper places).

I've kinda touched on the 'God' part of the AA/NA programs, and I believe that their sister programs, both Alanon and Naranon, can be worked as Atheists, or Agnostics, or Theists.....or any beliefs in-between..... (o:

Perhaps you could give either one or both of these a shot....? Heck, I'll bet that even if the overall message from 'the group' is one of some form of 'Theism' that you'll be able to form a support group for yourself of likeminded 'individuals' there.....ya think....? mebbe....?

You can check out some of the stickies here and on the other Secular forum (Secular 12-Step Recovery) too. I believe somewhere here there is a listing of a number of different secular recovery groups....: SMART Recovery; Rational Recovery; LifeRing to name a few (they mostly may be addressing the alcoholics and addicts, but ...... any port in a storm, eh.....?).

I hope this has helped some..... (o: ....and DON'T FORGET us here @ SoberRecovery; you'll probably always find someone here to help, even if only a shoulder, or an ear (er, an eye...?) ..... (o:

NoelleR

NoelleR