View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kellye C

Thank you, I am too! As another mix of AA and Christianity she will be buried with her Bible and her AA chip.

Nickie held a special place in my sobriety that started long before she became my mother in law last year. When I first got to AA in 04, scared to death she reached out to me as she does all newcomers. She got my phone number and gave me hers and made sure she talked to me daily. When after 4 days I drank I called her the next morning devastated because I just knew I was going to be thrown out of AA for drinking and I knew AA was my last chance. She just laughed and told me they CAN'T throw me out and told me how to handle it. She even became my temporary sponsor until I found my first sponsor.

I will not lie, after I dropped my husband off and was headed to another member's home to pick up some pictures for tomorrow's service the idea of a drink briefly crossed my mind. But just as quickly it left. There is no way I am going to use any sober member's death as an excuse for me going back out. What a horrible disservice to their memory. There is nothing so horrible that a drink won't make worse. Anyway, it was one of those fleeting thoughts but very disquieting.

Tomorrow will be a long hard day and I am bone weary and in the beginning stages of a migraine but I cannot sleep. Fortunately my husband can sleep through anything and finally just fell asleep a few minutes ago. If nothing else I can lay here quietly and count my many blessings, one of which is to have a husband and in-laws in recovery.

I think the hardest thing today was when they brought her wedding rings out of the house and gave them to my father in law. I almost keeled over. They would have been married 45 years next February. Now that, you don't see these days. The fact that they were both alcoholics makes it even more of a miracle IMHO. I pray that their son and I will have an equally successful union.

Thanks for listening,
Kellye