View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rainbowgirl128
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for everyone's responses :ghug I really appreciate it. I'm sure most people say this, but I have alcoholism in my family. I can also identify with a lot of the symptoms of the earliest stages from CarolD's post. I've never done drugs and didn't consider alcohol to be a drug because it runs rampant in our society and is generally accepted to get drunk for fun. But, as I said, my hangovers after a "night of fun" have gotten to be debilitating. It just isnt worth it anymore.

I am realizing that my struggle will not be overcoming physical addiction because I've already gone for 4 days without alcohol. Rather, it will be figuring out how to live my life (and have fun) without alcohol. My best friend is a heavy drinker and most of my friends enjoy going out to have a few on the weekends. Do I need to find new friends? I could go out to a bar and not drink but seriously how much fun is that? Dont really want to be in that situation.

Also, my SO drinks every day. Not to the point of drunkenness (I don't think). But a few months ago we had a huge fight because in my SO's drunken stupor she cheated on me right in front of my face. We've been working on things since then but have gotten into a few squabbles when she was tipsy. Anyway, since I am going to stop altogether should I break up with her since she might be dependent on alcohol?

Sorry to ramble :/