Notices

First week...month...?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

First week...month...?

Hi everyone. I am on day 3 since quitting drinking. I am in my early 20s and primarily binge drink 2-3 days a week with my friends. Nothing too disasterous ever happened. But enough social drama and stress came from my drinking habits that I have been "cutting back" for a while now. I thought for a while that going out and having 10 or so drinks a couple times a week was normal behavior for someone my age. But then I started waking up with classic withdrawal symptoms after drinking (like worse than the hangovers my friends experience). So I thought to myself that these symptoms indicate that my body is becoming addicted to alcohol.

I dont drink every day or in the morning or at work or anything, it was just the threat of addiction that made me realize I am probably in the early stages of alcoholism. I have done a lot of reading about this disease and dont want to get to any of the later stages. It terrifies me so I know I need to stop drinking altogether. Anyway...I am wondering if anyone has experience with quitting binge-drinking (like i described above). What should I expect physically, emotionally, psychologically? The last time I had alcohol was Friday night when I shared some wine with my friend. Yesterday I was anxious and had a headache but i felt okay after 24 hours. I feel fine today just a little tired. Any feedback on the first weeks/months of abstinence and what I can expect would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have much experience with binge drinking but wanted to welcome you to SR. More people should be along shortly that have more experience. Hang in there and keep posting.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...

Congratulations on deciding to quit drinking at this point.
Withdrawals normally begin 6 to 8 hours after stopping.
Apparently....you are goig to be really fortunate...

Good to see a new member...
Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From my files...

Progression Of Alcoholism
Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.
WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
Old 08-31-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rainbow,

Welcome to our recovery community.

I was binge drinking in my teens and twenties. Got married, then separated. Had two young children. Used to go out drinking with friends but my behaviour had gotten pretty unpredictable so I started drinking at home, alone. Started to crave booze, and started drinking more frequently, although not a daily drinker.

I was first identified by my peers as 'problem drinker' at 19 - I didn't quit until I was 33. I had lost a lot by then. You are wise to stop now - while you still can.

Please continue to post - there is much support and information here.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I am on day 8 of alcohol free, and I was a binge drinker on weekends. I didn't drink a lot but I drank without fail 2/3 nights on the weekend and I had started to drink during the week. I was getting tired, cranky and forgetful and decided to stop. I am into fitness and all my efforts were being ruined over the weekend.

I had constant headaches all last week, but they have gone now. I am so much calmer, happier and can almost feel the spiritual lightness along with feeling better physically. I am just generally happier with myself. Best wishes to you.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for everyone's responses :ghug I really appreciate it. I'm sure most people say this, but I have alcoholism in my family. I can also identify with a lot of the symptoms of the earliest stages from CarolD's post. I've never done drugs and didn't consider alcohol to be a drug because it runs rampant in our society and is generally accepted to get drunk for fun. But, as I said, my hangovers after a "night of fun" have gotten to be debilitating. It just isnt worth it anymore.

I am realizing that my struggle will not be overcoming physical addiction because I've already gone for 4 days without alcohol. Rather, it will be figuring out how to live my life (and have fun) without alcohol. My best friend is a heavy drinker and most of my friends enjoy going out to have a few on the weekends. Do I need to find new friends? I could go out to a bar and not drink but seriously how much fun is that? Dont really want to be in that situation.

Also, my SO drinks every day. Not to the point of drunkenness (I don't think). But a few months ago we had a huge fight because in my SO's drunken stupor she cheated on me right in front of my face. We've been working on things since then but have gotten into a few squabbles when she was tipsy. Anyway, since I am going to stop altogether should I break up with her since she might be dependent on alcohol?

Sorry to ramble :/
Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Rainbow,

Can't help much with the relationship issue except to say that if your SO isn't going to help with your not drinking then maybe it is time to move on. Easier said than done of course. Try and speak to her about her drinking habits and have her join you. It is painful to leave the people you care about but if she won't help you might need to help her by putting a little seperation between the two of you. Hopefully she will see the new you and want to be a part of that. But don't completly bail on her, she might need your support one day with this very same problem.
As far as not having something to do or not being social there are plenty of things to do that are plenty of fun without getting hammered. Trust me I was far worse of than you and feel great. Nothing beats waking up feeling good and not having all the issues associated with getting ripped. Your mind and body will thank you for it. For now just take it one minute at a time, aminute quickly turns into a day and then a week. Good luck with yourself and your SO, I hope things can work out for the two of you. Some things take time.

Shawn
Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,
We support you in your efforts to quit drinking, and stay sober. Congrats on day 4!

One thing someone told me early on in my sobriety was: One day at a time. I apply this to everything from relationships to work...if I can just get through one day without a drink, I'll be alright. I started focusing on each hour when things got hard. Day after day, I've stayed away from a drink.

As many of us go along, we find other methods of coping with the stresses of life and the peer pressure around us. Having a community of sober individuals in recovery helps many of us stay sober ourselves.

Just reading your post and taking the time to reply has helped me in my own recovery.

I hope you find a contented and happy life in sobriety. Changes will happen. Life doesn't become easier, but it's much better without the crushing burden of an alcohol problem. Alcoholism is a disease of the mind, and the disease tells us we are ok. I found that I need to be careful when I feel good. It's easy to slip back into previous patterns. It's a miracle that I'm sober....It's been through prayer, the use of this website, AA, and the help of others that I stay sober.

You are not alone. Keep up the good work.
chip