View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
wraybear
Caring for the 3 little bears

My experience in this type of situation is finally getting out of my denial and realizing my AH is an alcoholic. The signs are all there... hiding liquor, not contributing to the household financially, and stinking of larger day and night. My AH, was a fun drunk. We drank together. Then we got older, had children and he continued to drink. He drank on wknds, then just in the evenings, then beer, then just whiskey, then back to beer, then just vodka, then only afte 12noon, then before 12noon, then only in the evening. This went on for 20+ years. Eventually he was drinking morning, noon and night. I had to ask him to leave. There were some traumatic events that took place, but I had to stop associating with him. Yes, we had children, but he was so drunk all the time, he didn't even make an effort there either. After three near death experiences, he finally embraced the AA program and is now 3 years sober. Quite honestly, there isn't anything you can do about his alcoholism, except getting educated about it and I must say, I am no one to give advice, but someone told me this when I first started coming to SR and it helped me tremendously. STOP ACCEPTING THE UNNACCEPTABLE. What we, the spouses, excuse as normal behaviour, others would not excuse.

I wish you the best. It is hell living with an addict. But, the good news is, you can get out of your denial and get well again yourself, with or without him.