View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SAMJ1972

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
You too!

I am the same as far as being the Team Soccer Parent, Girl Scout leader, etc., but I was always impatient. After all, the kids interfered with my drinking. Pathetic. I am not too worried about my 8 yr old because I have a sober decade left with her. Yay! She does not know about AA because I would like to keep my anonymity and she is very free in speaking to everyone So I had told her that I go to meetings to learn how not to be sad (I lost my Dad in March and have had a really hard time with it) and to be a better Mommy. She tells me that I don't need to do that because I am already the best Mommy. Ahhh

It does make me sad to think about the time I lost with my son though. This is his senior year and then he is off to college. He and I talk a lot and we are closer than ever. I cherish every day with him and try not to beat myself up too bad about it. I can only work on today. Though when I get to Step 9, I am going to have a tearful amends to him I am sure.

Do you have a sponsor and are you working the steps yet? My sponsor has me working through them slowly. Writing, writing, writing. I know it is good for me because one of my big problems is that I need to slow down and just be sometimes. Like all high functioning alcoholics, I tend to move at the speed of light, lol.
I do not have a sponsor, and for no real reason...just hasn't happened yet I guess. I am just now getting better at speaking up more in meetings and it's amazing how quickly things get rolling from there. I do go to a step meeting weekly.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad - I lost my mom 16 years ago and although it gets easier, it's always hard. I hope you can forgive yourself for any way in which you've wronged your son - it's so easy for me to tell people not to be too hard on themselves..I wish I could follow my own advice! My little guy also thinks I'm the greatest so maybe I scraped by without doing too much damage to him. My 15 yr old is actually my stepson and doesn't live with us full time so a lot was able to be hidden from him. Phew!