Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
colagirl
getting there

Welcome to SR, Master G! I too have suffered with anxiety during sobriety. Many times it's driven me to drink again because it's the only thing I know. I've come to realize that I feel overly anxious about things because I've been using the alcohol to get through it, so without the alcohol it feels twice as bad as it would... am I making sense?

Anyway, I really struggled with this, so I got into counseling and started some daily meds to help me out. A few techniques I've learned so far - get a lot of early morning sunlight, take fish oil every day (this takes awhile to build up in your system but is great for mental health), and get cardio exercise as often as you can. I've been using this approach for about six weeks and it really seems to be helping at least a little bit (when I'm not using alcohol to cancel out the effects, that is) .

I know a lot of others here have dealt with the same things so I'm sure they'll be along with their advice. Good luck and I look forward to more posts from you.