Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

New guy.. help with not drinking & dealing with anxiety/panick attacks

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

First post other than throwing out some hugs to someone in need. I have been a long time reader & currently on day 3 of my first attempt to really quit.

More of a binge drinker & then having those "gotta have a few cause I feel like crap" drinks the next day. I have tried & tried to have a couple of drinks & stop but it never works out (all or nothing kinda deal). The anxiety/withdrawal symptoms have been getting worse & worse and I am having a really hard time dealing with them (yes, I know that is the alcohol slowly killing me).

I'm in an industry that involves a lot of concerts & events and entertaining customers. The challenge is that I have a problem with anxiety & alcohol seems to really help to get me relaxed when I'm feeling nervous (I have bromazapam but it doesn't seem to do much anymore).

Anyway... I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on how you have dealt with your stress, anxiety and/or panic attacks while staying away from the booze. I know I need to see my doctor soon & let her know what is up. I have made some very bad decisions in the last couple of weeks due to drinking (and being hungover) & I need to make a change.

Congratulations to all of you who are going through the process & have quit drinking. All of the best in your recovery & I look forward to any & all thoughts/encouragement.

Take Care
Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you decided to share with us....
Welcome!

The top 2 sticky post in Alcoholism are full of information
you might find helpful. Not sure if you have read them yet.

Once you finish de toxing....it will be easier
to see what needs to be done about anxiety.

Do keep posting...Congratulations on working towards sobriety.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
getting there

Welcome to SR, Master G! I too have suffered with anxiety during sobriety. Many times it's driven me to drink again because it's the only thing I know. I've come to realize that I feel overly anxious about things because I've been using the alcohol to get through it, so without the alcohol it feels twice as bad as it would... am I making sense?

Anyway, I really struggled with this, so I got into counseling and started some daily meds to help me out. A few techniques I've learned so far - get a lot of early morning sunlight, take fish oil every day (this takes awhile to build up in your system but is great for mental health), and get cardio exercise as often as you can. I've been using this approach for about six weeks and it really seems to be helping at least a little bit (when I'm not using alcohol to cancel out the effects, that is) .

I know a lot of others here have dealt with the same things so I'm sure they'll be along with their advice. Good luck and I look forward to more posts from you.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome from me as well!

You're still in the withdrawal stages and getting to your Dr. asap sounds like the best suggestion I can make at the moment. This period is going to be a bundle of anxiety and stress. . . that's normal.

Try going to some AA Meetings. I would not be in my third year of Recovery if it weren't for the Steps and the Fellowship and Friends, true Friends I have made in AA. I never imaged that I could be in a room full of strangers who made me feel loved and accepted within that first hour, at that first meeting. I walked in alone, scared, anxious and unsure. But I walked out of there with phone numbers that were given freely to me without even asking. I felt a sense of hope, instead of hopelessness and also a sense of understanding that I am not alone.

Keep posting here, share as little or as much as you want.

We do understand.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't learned how to deal well with my stress yet. Although, I have to say after 5-6 days without alcohol I felt a lot less anxious around people. I thought alcohol relieved that but it was really making it worse (for me). So you might be surprised. Walking (I need to take my own advise) but moving helps, sunlight and yelling at people in your car....told you I didn't know how to deal yet. Welcome. Hope you get better advice than this and know you will. I'll listen also. Glad you're here and dealing with this now at this time in your life.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The tool I've been using to deal with stress has been fairly effective: when I get stressed I ask myself how much responsibility I am taking for a given situation. I then ask myself if I am overstepping my responsibility. (Being OCD, I often do!) I then ask myself how much of a responsibility is ultimately mine, how much is someone elses.
If I know I can handle a responsibility, no problem. I relax and just do it.
If it is a problem I can solve, no problem.

IF IT IS SOMETHING I CAN't SOLVE:::::I am finally learning to accept that.

This thinking is based on the serenity prayer, and has helped me a lot since I quit drinking.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My anxiety didn't start until I started drinking a lot. When I go 3-4 weeks without drink, I have no anxiety. It's different for everyone though???
Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found that after a night of drinking, the next few days I felt incredibly "aware" of people...wondering if they were looking at me...feeling like they knew I was hung-over...feeling just "different" than other people..almost like it was a "them" and "me" feeling, if that makes sense? It got to the point where I wasn't comfortable going shopping by myself anymore, as I didn't want people looking at me.

I can honestly say that after a few weeks of NOT drinking, that absolutely went away. Still not sure what that was about.

Good luck to you! Please share as often as you can...the people here sooo want sobriety for you.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first time posting also. I wrote in my journal yesterday Day 1 - last hangover. I don't get too bad of hangovers it is the anxiety after that does me in. I quit for 5 years before and my anxiety went away, I am ready to tackle it again and really need to it is taking its toll on my soul.

Glad to join such a caring group, I have been visiting this site and that was an indication I was ready to quit for good this time. Thought I could try controlled drinking but that only lasted a year. My hubby and friends all drink, but I made it 5 years before.

Will be visiting daily to keep strong.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Master G,

Welcome!

I suffered anxiety and panic attacks long before I began drinking and of course, drinking made those even worse. I still have to deal with those issues in recovery, but, I have learned to let go of a lot of stuff. The Serenity Prayer is never far from my mind.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind & caring words ;-) It really means a lot to me. Made it through day 4 but I am a little worried about tomorrows "event"... I am going to do everything within my power to stay away from the bottle & make it through the night. I feel stronger knowing you are all with me.... thank you.

Oh & ... has anyone tried any herbal remides? I have heard that St. Johns Wart & Ginko Biloba are both good natural ways of dealing with stress/anxiety?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi again MG,
Fish oil and vitamin B complex supplements are what was recommended to me for anxiety. The vitamin B tablets often come in a "stress formula" if you go to a vitamin store like Vitamin World or GNC. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

recovering coping skills

hi there! u have already stepped into the right direction when u realize drinking is by no means good 4 u and can potientialy kill u n the long run.i've been n recovery 15 mos and i had a lot of anxiety issues 2.to build strength i suggest going 2 meetings every chance u get ,at first u need a foundation 2 grow from.second i'd suggest u work with a therapist 2 learn new coping skills and talk about whats stressing u out.i found talking out my stresses took away my need 4 meds and therapy gives me a second opionion on my usually negative outlook.as an alcoholic we must know our best thinking got us here .so n early recovery get second opinions be it therapists or positive clean people n meetings.use all that is avalible 2 u.remember ur worth it.no matter how good a day a sober days always better.1 day at a time.u can do it. goodluck!:praying
Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lisa1235 View Post
hi there! u have already stepped into the right direction when u realize drinking is by no means good 4 u and can potientialy kill u n the long run.i've been n recovery 15 mos and i had a lot of anxiety issues 2.to build strength i suggest going 2 meetings every chance u get ,at first u need a foundation 2 grow from.second i'd suggest u work with a therapist 2 learn new coping skills and talk about whats stressing u out.i found talking out my stresses took away my need 4 meds and therapy gives me a second opionion on my usually negative outlook.as an alcoholic we must know our best thinking got us here .so n early recovery get second opinions be it therapists or positive clean people n meetings.use all that is avalible 2 u.remember ur worth it.no matter how good a day a sober days always better.1 day at a time.u can do it. goodluck!:praying
Thank you Lisa & welcome to SR :ghug3
Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

lisa1235....
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh & ... has anyone tried any herbal remides? I have heard that St. Johns Wart & Ginko Biloba are both good natural ways of dealing with stress/anxiety?
No...I did not.
I did make changes in my life to reduce stress
One of biggest was switching jobs...
shorter hours...less money...less stess.

Perhaps that is not possible for you
...it scared me but worked out fine.

Blessings
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Master G, Thank you for your honesty it has given me the confidence to make this my first post also. I too drink way more than is good for me or anyone around me. I too have been going through the cycle of I feel great cause I haven't drank so i'll have a drink, can't stop at one, so feel like crap the next day and the only thing that makes me feel better is another drink then I feel ultra crap the next day and decide not to drink then feel good again and the cycle still turns...

Today i found this forum because I am too embarrased to go to my doctor or to AA or couselling... But I know I need help.

I have tried to stop on my own before but I too have had terrible anxiety and don't know what to do with myself so i drink again.

Good Luck and know that you are not alone.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

master G, i put in a little anecdote about stress and anxiety in your "top 3 reasons for not drinking" thread.

regards
Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fu7pink View Post
Hi Master G, Thank you for your honesty it has given me the confidence to make this my first post also. I too drink way more than is good for me or anyone around me. I too have been going through the cycle of I feel great cause I haven't drank so i'll have a drink, can't stop at one, so feel like crap the next day and the only thing that makes me feel better is another drink then I feel ultra crap the next day and decide not to drink then feel good again and the cycle still turns...

Today i found this forum because I am too embarrassed to go to my doctor or to AA or couselling... But I know I need help.

I have tried to stop on my own before but I too have had terrible anxiety and don't know what to do with myself so i drink again.

Good Luck and know that you are not alone.
Thank you so much fu7Pink, I am deeply honored that I could help you start posting :day4 We have a lot of things in common.

I made it through my event but not without having to turn down multiple drinks & some shocking responses... including "its sad to see you drinking water"

One of my clients friends got wasted & I was the one trying to take care of her & make sure she was ok... trying to find her jacket for an hour... dealing with her putting herself in bad situations with other drunk guys... spending an hour to unsuccessfully get her to come into a cab with us & the list goes on.

The next day at another all day event & I was the one taking care of a coworker that got hammered & was doing some pretty silly things (Customers & coworkers all saw what was going on as she was looking for & attracting the wrong kind of attention)

Dont get me wrong... we have all been there & I am not trying to get on some high horse (I have been "that guy" many times). Its just weird being on the other side.. but in a good way

All of the best

It seems that I have switched roles from the drunk party guy to the person that takes care of the drunks (My regional manager even thanked me for helping out in regards to that situation today)

Hmmmm I hope I can stay on the helping side

All the best to all of you in recovery & thanks for reading