View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Bugs is right - the only way I got through stuff was by finally determining the voice I was hearing wasn't mine, the thoughts I was having weren't really mine....but the body it used and abused was. I cut off access

I never seen anyone who doesn't given up not make it yet DK

D
I have learned to challenge the AV. When my AV starts to talking I first label it as my addiction talking. That helps me to recognize crappy thinking is starting. Sometimes it enough to just recognize whats happening to make it go away. Then I dispel all the crap my AV is telling me. A common AV for me is: F-it I deserve a little drinkie. Ive got his recovery deal down. One night of party wont hurt, I'll sober up again, I've done it so many times before.

Sure, I've sobered up plenty of times but is this honoring my Buddhist path and my aim to become healthy? No. Drugging and drinking, even for one night is harmful to my body, mind and spirit. There too is no assurance it will be for one night only. I could kick start the cravings again. Then there is my self-esteem. I will feel crappy about my commitment to seek a sober life. I know there is no shame in relapsing but, I don't want to relive the disappointment I feel when I do.

Anywho, Its all about practicing sobriety more than not and with practice comes accomplishment 'one day at a time'.