Thread: Hello Everyone
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AnthonyV

Bamboozle, I admire your courage to address your drinking and depression in your twenties, don't give up...you will not regret your efforts. I first started looking at my drinking and depression when I was in my 20's, the first time I went into rehab was when I was 25. I would recommend that you if you can see a doctor, psychiatrist or counselor to do so, they can be of help. I also recommend that you check out the different recovery groups, AA, SOS, Smart Recovery. Listen, but also keep a healthy dose of skepticism and remember what has worked for someone else, may not necessarily work for you. There is no "one size fits all" path towards living a happy, sober life. Think about what you hear, meditate (if that's your thing) and eventually you will know what is right for you. And when you feel like you don't know, don't panic...we all face doubts. And be patient and kind, with yourself and with others.

For me it's been a long journey (I'm now 41) and I finally got to a point a few years ago where I realized that I'm going to have to design my own "do it yourself" recovery. But keep in mind this was after 20 years of drinking and learning about alcoholism and depression (I started drinking when I was 18), and I realized that I wasn't going to be happy or find success with the steps, but I still use bits of AA that are helpful (I read a daily mediation from a Hazelton book every morning). I've found useful things in Smart Recovery. This website has been a tool as well (even though I just registered, I've been reading and lurking for a couple of years). I've discussed my alcohol use and depression with my doctors and asked for Campral and Wellbutrin, which they prescribed. I've also spent a lot of time studying alcoholism/depression and nutrition online (google niacin and alcoholism and niacin and depression, also google sugars/carbohydrates and alcoholism--the searches will bring up a wealth of information). There are many other things that I have done to incorporate into my own program, some little like making sure to make my bed every morning and other very important like maintaining contact with friends. And don't ignore your spiritual side, for me that doesn't involve any organized religion, however I've found Buddhism useful in teaching me how to meditate. (I apologize if that offends anyone, because this is the secular section. I do consider myself secular, but I also don't see secular and spiritual as mutually exclusive. To me spiritual is the life force within that allows me to be a conscious being, and to me secular is the rejection of organized religion and dogma).

I apologize for the long post, but that I thank you for allowing me to share some of my experience, strength and hope.