View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Thane
Patron Saint of Hot Tubs

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
Welcome to SR

Yes, there are people who have had similar experiences to yours. I am one. The last drunk I had I fell backwards walking down a friends driveway and landed on the back of my head. I actually felt like I was dying. It was a terrifying experience. When I was finally able to get up I wound up making it across the street only to fall face first up my concrete steps. Of course I was too drunk to break my fall with anything but my face.

I wound up with a concussion to both the front and back of my brain. I too went on to work trying to pretend like all was well. I told everyone I tripped on the cat.....I doubt anyone truly believed that story as I am sure the alcohol was still coming out of my pores.

I spent the next 3 years with dizzy spells, fainting spells, extreme headaches, balance and coordination problems, and learning issues. Today I still struggle with the changes that occurred in my brain as far as how I think and how I learn and how I remember things or should I say don't remember things.

That incident truly scared the heck out of me. As a medical professional I realize that the bleeding in my brain from the concussions could easily have killed me or left me in a coma or vegetative state. Fortunately i found sobriety not long after that and only drank minimal amounts until then.

So I guess what I am trying to say is you are not alone.
Are you still having any symptoms of the head trauma, or did they disappear after the aforementioned three years?

I was told that alcohol worsens all of the symptoms of a head injury. I don't know if it's true, but anything is possible.