Thread: My first post.
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
justanothrdrunk
Retired Pro Drunk

Guess what? You're me! Or at least that's how I was back then.

High school drinking, heavy college drinking (because, hey, that's what college kids do, right?) but it didn't end there.

I too had a good childhood. Parents didn't drink much at all. Once in a rare while there might have been a glass of wine, special occaisions only, but that was it.

I, like you, can understand how people with emotional problems or have had some traumatic childhood experiences turn to alcohol. But why do people like you and me do it?

Have you considered that alcoholism is a disease? It's TRUE!!! As an alcoholic, my brain is wired very differently than a "normal" person. Alcohol has a very different effect on me than on others. The only cure for this is not to pick up any alcohol.

I've also come to find that I can't handle drugs at all either. That may be a "no-brainer." People shouldn't do drugs... yadda yadda... But there are some who can use illicit drugs recreationally and stop. I can't do that either. I will abuse anything I can get my hands on.

So, here I am - 36 years old, after 3 times in rehab (one lasting 5 months) and I've just figured this all out.

You have a distinct advantage. You are figuring this all out now, and at your age, that's a bonus.

If you are indeed an alcoholic, do yourself a favor. Do everything you can to arrest this now. Don't wait until things get so bad you have alienated yourself from all your friends and family.

When alcoholics drink, there are only (let me repeat - ONLY) 3 possible outcomes - jail, institutions, or death.

The first few days are the toughest. It gets easier. If you need support, there is plenty out there. Check out AA if you would like. And we are here for you too.