Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Hi Robby,

I get what you mean. I was equating “party atmosphere” to getting drunk, getting high, and the debauchery of it all. This is what my drinking had become and this is what I absolutely do not miss. I also accept that in my life, I did have some great times when I was drinking. But that’s the past. They are good memories but that’s all.

I agree, get past the booze and the party is still there. It was one of the “revelations” of my sobriety – most people who party do not get drunk, many don’t even drink. Before sobering up, I couldn’t imagine enjoying a concert, football game, or any celebration without getting drunk. I now go to concerts, football games (just last week) and the atmosphere is electric. I have been to large family gatherings, many people drinking and I had a great time. So no, I don’t miss this atmosphere because I still enjoy it.

I am certainly not anti-alcohol and if people can handle it, that’s fine (I better be fine with it, my wife drinks ). Even if people want to get drunk and as long as they don’t hurt anyone, I’m okay with it. I just don’t romanticize it and make it something that I feel I need to make my life complete.

I think we are on the same page with this, just different perspectives.

Take care.

Don