Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Hi Robby,

Very interesting post. Where I am at in my life is quite different.

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
In our world of sharing and caring the only rule is don’t pick up. It’s all about friends love friends. In recovery the path-plan addicts want to think they are receiving and giving away experience, strength, and hope.....And all of us looking for that sweet spot again… so the prize remains’ the same but the game play plan is changed.
I hope you guys that this thread attracts postings about your selves as I know that friendships and relationships is a big issue in recovery and no less on SR. We all want some. We all want to get rid of some. And a few feel they have none really, as to the way they see it.
A major part of my recovery and sobriety is accepting the kind of person I am. I have a few close friends, a good relationship with my wife, and many acquaintances. I do, however, really enjoy being alone – fishing, mountain biking, reading, listening to music, internet. It is when I am most at peace. That’s who I am. I don’t “force” friendships. In my drinking days, I was trying to be someone I am not – a flashy, outgoing guy surrounded by trendy people. I needed people to like me.

I’m quite content letting nature take its course, people coming into my life or drifting away. I approach SR the same way. I am very grateful for everyone on this site. They are all here to recover or to help those who are suffering. And they come and go.

Yes, I am super clean, but I loved the party atmosphere of the streets…so deep and sensual and exciting. I won’t believe anybody who says they were there, rocked with it, and now say they don’t miss the party air. That is denial thru and thru
I don’t miss the “party atmosphere” (I know, you don’t believe me ). When I think of that lifestyle, I think of my old drinking buddies still sitting in our favorite blues bar getting drunker & drunker, blacking out, trying to have fun at any cost, disrespecting others. Then the hangover, the morning drinks and right back at it. No, I don’t miss it. Very occasionally, I do get that “it would be nice to go out for a beer with the boys” feeling but it is fleeting and smashed with a good dose of reality. Is this denial?

For me, the bottom line is that I am enjoying sobriety, the recovery journey, and this lifestyle much more. I found my “sweet spot”.