View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
suemarie
'caution' broken heart ahead

Heartbroken again my love relapsed

Hi everyone, I came here looking for answers. I don't know if I will get feedback from a recovering addict here but felt I needed to post this in this forum. I hope I did right.

I too am struggling with an alcoholic and drug addict, he is my b\f . How charming and loving he is and he swept me off his feet at first. We have been on and off in our 3 yr. relationship. Because of his addictions we can't seem to keep our relationship on track. His family and I had an intervention with him and he agreed to rehab and was there for 2 months. He relapsed 2 months ago. He has been in rehab before several years ago too. He just can't seem to stay clean. Right now I don't know where this relationship is going. He blames me for throwing him out again and not understanding. I guess I just can't handle this anymore.

I feel used, hurt, betrayed and manipulated. This is not a healthy relationship and I think its time for me to move on and find someone who WANTS to devote thier energies to a relationship instead of an addiction.

My addict was a functional drinker (after work) he's a good worker who goes above and beyond but then right after work he hits the bottle. His passion is to drink\drive and listen to music or go to a bar. He binges on cocaine several times a year almost losing his life. He has been doing coke for many many years. He is in his 40's now. He said cocaine gives the most ultimate feeling and its too bad its so dangerous. He knows he really needs to quit. The problem I see with him though is that he seems to seperate his two addictions and really doesnt want to make a connect between the two. He boasts about how long its been not doing coke and thinks he conquering it but thinks its ok to drink. Doesn't seem to think his drink is a problem too.

I would like to hear from some recovering addicts and help me understand how addicts can convince someone they love them only to use them. Also, does cocaine or (DOC) bingers think about thier drug everday, I mean is it a daily thought and struggle? Deep down don't they understand the reason we react the way we do? I'd like someone to share thier experiences as to what its like being an addict and trying to recover.

My heart goes out to all of you who struggle trying to recover and the families that are coping.

Thank you for any input and for listening and God Bless!