View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Seeking Wisdom

You have received some good input already. You have described behaviors that are red flags that seem very unhealthy and destructive. As mentioned before, these type of problems usually get worse with time ... and can be a window into his real personality that he may have been covering up in the early stages of your relationship. If you desire peace and serenity, this relationship will most likely keep you from acheiving it ... and instead keep you constant chaos and misery in a roller coaster of emotions and never ending confusion. When my AH began experiencing the negative effects of alcoholism, we had already been married for many years and had started a business, owned property and had children together... that greatly complicated my ability to separate from the misery associated with addiction.

Something else you may want to consider. When my husband was truly sober, I did not notice the mood swings and anger that were so prevalent when he was drinking - that was the most noticable hallmark change I noticed - consistent, rational behavior that only appeared after he had been truly sober for about one year. My AH was a master at hiding his drinking and went to enormous lengths to keep it hidden from me ... so I was often puzzled when his mood and behavior would become hostile and irrational ... while all the time he would swear that he wasn't drinking. I was actually relieved when I finally found out the truth after years of mind games...he had been drinking and carefully hiding it for years. The degree your SO went to deceive you about the pills opens up the very real possibility that he has been abusing alcohol or pills prior to this, but he just hadn't got caught until now. That may explain his confusing mood changes and hostile behavior ... he could be feeling the effects of addiction from either withdrawal or cravings.

Please keep coming back .... hopefully you will gain some insight to help you achieve the happy and peaceful future you desire.