View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
daydream
Obsessed Pug Momma

Hi Spidyangel,
I'm with Suki and the others who are telling you it depends on motive. Taking meds not prescribed for you, even with a legitimate reason in your opinion, is certainly treading on dangerous ground, but isn't neccessarily a relapse. In addition to asking yourself if it was to get high or to get relief, I'll offer another question for you to consider: Did you (hypothetically) take the Vicoden because you COULD justify it or because you HAD to take it? I have a medical procedure coming up in a week. When my doctor and I discussed meds for the surgery and he suggested some things that would be mood-altering, I immediately said to him that I'm a recovering addict, that I haven't used anything in 7 years, but that anything mood-altering still poses a great risk to my recovery. We then discussed each med, found an alternative for one that isn't mood-altering, and for the other one, he had to explain to me why I couldn't go without it. Then i came straight home and called my sponsor to make plans with her for handling of the pills and to make arrangements for "what if" something goes wrong and I end up having more major surgery. So this is an example of how I could have justified taking the opiate, but did not need it and was able to find a non mood-altering solution.

MUST you take something mood-altering or can you simply justify doing so? It's a question that has probably saved my ass a few times.

Hugs for your courage in posing this question :-)