Thread: new and scared
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
WishIWasNormal

Dear Trapped, I know how you feel. I was a wino for many years until discovering oxycodone and clonazapam (Klonopin). Then I was in heaven since I could go about my business while high without ingesting all those pesky calories in the wine. Mixing the two just got them used up faster and so I just slowly drifted away from alcohol. It is a tense situation when the supply runs low and you can't ask for more without running the risk of having the Dr cut them off completely. Lortab and Vicodin were fine for a toothache now and then but then the Dr. prescribed Norco 10/325 #30/month and I couldn't believe it. I'm in my 50's and have had my share of humiliating incidents so I knew 4 mg clonazepam and two Norco everyday was WAY too much so I had him lower the amount because if I had them in the house, I would take them. Besides, I work and go to the local college with a 4.0 GPA which is hard to maintain when unable to get out of bed. You may be someone who physically/emotionally needs a bit of "levelling out" to make it through the day, but you posted feeling anxious that your Xanax was running low. Since you're probably running low because you exceeded the prescribed amount earlier, just suck up reality and break the remaining ones in half until you can refill the prescription. It boils down to the fact that you have two choices: Either quit completely or learn to live on the dosage prescribed. I guarantee that asking for more will get you none. IMO medication should enhance one's live not cause it to deteriorate or cause divorce or discord. I have mental illness in my family and never would have had the courage to go back to school after over 30 years without the stability my medications provide.I've been on 15 or 20 antidepressants and finally decided to eliminate them completely and I feel better. Also I splurged and bought a package of 5 tans at a tanning salon and those minutes of warmth and security have made me feel wonderful, as well as improving my appearance. I don't know your age, but I'm guessing mid thirties and that is how I was. What I've posted is how I am now. It's a struggle and the answer is different for everyone. If the meds affect your work, relationships or get you in legal trouble then quitting is the only option. Otherwise, medications properly prescribed and taken responsibly can improve your quality of life. The bottom line is: life is a struggle with or without medications. I'm glad you found the site and I hope you continue to post.