View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
respektingme

How do you handle this?

We usually have company over on holidays. Often times, it's my family. Some times, AH doesn't drink at all. Other times, he picks the oddest times to drink, like times he would normally not drink. He usually drinks late at night, all by himself. But when he's off work and we are with family, sometimes I notice that he's been drinking. In the past, I have gotten him alone and asked him to stay in the bedroom and away from my family before they figure it out. That has worked. But other times, he comes back out.

He's pretty good at hiding it, but of course, I start getting nervous/angry/upset when I know it's going on and he is expecting me to keep my mouth shut. Meanwhile, I don't know who has figured it out or who hasn't.

What do you do in this situation when he refuses to stay away? Call him out in front of everybody? It's such an unpredictable, yet very predictable scenario that I'm already wondering if it's going to happen this weekend.

Edited to add: Both of our families are well aware that he's an alcoholic (though his is in denial for the most part). So, they know, but it's not something anyone ever speaks about in front of him. Toooooo tabooooooooooo.