Thread: lonely
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober
mle-sober

ksplash,

Kinda a funny/not so funny story: One time early in my relationship with my now husband, I saw a picture of him walking on the beach with this beautiful woman. They were laughing and the wind was blowing her hair into his face. He had left this picture sitting on his shelf.

I obsessed over it. I wrote about it in my journal. I felt like he'd left it out on purpose for me to see. We were very rocky at that point and both us drank a lot. Me alcoholically and in denial.

Eventually, after about a year and after we'd done quite a bit of therapy to decide whether or not to stay together after an unplanned pregnancy, I finally, finally asked about that picture. He got it out and showed it to me again. This time, I recognized his aunt. I love this aunt - she's fabulous and a huge fan of my husbands. But there is NO reason to be jealous. I couldn't believe how much time I'd spent on this warped insecure jealousy.

We laugh about it now.

So besides the obvious, I think I am saying, do yourself a favor and do your relationship a favor and just ask. You have a right to say, "I'm feeling particularly insecure right now for x, y, and z reasons. I am worrying about our relationship and feeling jealous about who you were talking to on the phone."

In my experience limited exclusively to me, women (me) like a man who expresses his feelings. Especially when he's sober.

You're doing a good job!