View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Deanac you have recieved some really awesome suggestions, I know a guy in AA who did not say a word for the first year he was in AA in a meetingand he went to at least one meeting every day! but he did show up early and help set things up and stayed a bit late to help clean up. He shared that he did not come to AA to make freinds, he came to AA to learn how to live his life without drinking, he says he got both and was only looking for one.

Speaker meetings are awesome when there is a good speaker........ but they can be boring as heck with a bad one, especially one who spends 50 minutes sharing their drunkalog and 10 minutes on thier recovery. We are all alcoholics and are experts at how to get drunk!

As others have suggested, get into AA, hanging around AA can be very boring and depressing.

The suggestion to keep attending a meeting you like is an excellent one, some folks in AA develop a fear of becoming close to someone the first 3 or 4 meetings they see them at because it is painful to start to get to know some one and they wind up getting drunk again and not coming back to meetings........ that and there have been times when they got drunk again and were killed in an accident. I found that the more times I attended a certain meeting the more people there were that warmed up to me. The one great thing about AA is there are plenty of folks who will seek a newcomer out right off the bat just to let them know we do care and want to help.