View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sugErspun

deanac- I can relate. I don't like public speaking (actually have a fear of it you could say) and my sharing at AA meetings in generally very short and to the point.

I don't lead meetings (I have when asked before - but it's not my 'cup of tea') and I don't think anyone would show if I was the featured speaker, you know I just don't do public speaking very well at all - get all nervous and lose my words...

regardless - I got sober in AA. I go to meetings and be of service in anyway I can. Make coffee, help cleanup, help set up the chairs - I think if you approach the chair (leader) of any meeting you go to and ask what you can do to help - something will be needed.

Through this process - you get to know people, you become comfortable. Fellowship builds, it's not forced.

That being said - the most important things I have done or been a part of in 'AA' have not taken place in meetings, usually just talking with other alcoholics, even just one.

I prefer small discussion topic meetings and big book studies. I will also drive a long way to see a speaker that I think is really good.

The process of going through the twelve steps has very little to do with meetings at first...it was really more sitting in a car, reading the book with a recovered alcoholic - and - talking.

You need not be hindered.