View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
deanac

Dealing with boredom

I recently moved to a new area after being sober for about a year. I was depressed shortly after the move and returned to my old ways of drinking although mostly in the form of weekend drinking to deal with the lonliness and boredom. I 'm new to AA meetings but attended several speaker type meetings in my local area. I thought it would be a good way to deal with my alcohol problem while giving me a chance to develop some new friends. I found it really difficult to commit myself to these meetings and somehow my mind thought of creative ways to convince myself to drink instead of attend meetings. I've thought about volunteering in something related to AA or anything else that would commit me to something but don't really know where to begin. I've read through some past posts of volunteering in recovery programs but they all seem involve giving speeches or leading meetings. I'm not big on public speaking so I don't think that would really work out with me. I'm wondering if there is something else I should look into?

Thanks