Thread: sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
lightseeker

My recovery didn't really take off until I worked the steps with a sponsor. I think that it was just the fact of being accountable and getting outside of my own head and my own best thinking that made such a difference. She was able to share her experience, strength, and hope as we worked through them. I had worked the steps on my own several times and it never brought me a 1/4 of the awareness of doing them with a sponsor.

Sponsorship is also about developing a relationship that has time to bloom and grow and establish the foundations of trust and knowing one another. When the sh*t hits the fans it is wonderful to have someone that knows me inside and out....and also knows the deal of recovery and can help me to apply the principles.

I go to AA and have a sponsor in that program. I also go to Alanon but I do not have an Alanon sponsor. Once you get past the 1st step it's all pretty much the same though. I don't think that anyone was suggesting that you get a sponsor because of anything that you are saying or not saying. It's just such a helpful relationship that it's a frequent recommendation.

Even if there isn't someone that you feel like you want to be your sponsor you could ask someone to be your temporary sponsor just to get you started.

Hugs