View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
miss communicat

my daughter, now 28, came with me to many meetings from about age 6 or 7 on. it was not ideal for anyone, but we've all survived ok.

these days, when children are present at meetings I accept them as part of life. On occasion, if i know them or the parent, if i sense they need a break, I will walk outside with them (kids) for a while or go in another room and read with them. I feel sorry for them having to wait around while their parents are in a meeting. it must be hugely boring.

I now have a friend in the program, a single mom of an 8 year old girl. The daughter goes with mom to a mtg almost every night. Mom is going thru a hard time, and shares freeely about her feelings, tears and shame and all. In this case, I think its unhealthy for the daughter to be exposed to so much apparent instability in a parent. The little girl gets very worried and tries to "fix" mommy, or otherwise take care of mommy, to make her stop crying or to be happy.

this is the down side of bringing kids to support groups. they may be put in a position where they feel they must provide parental-type support to the supposed parent, who is weak and needy.

I have called this friend, at least 5 times and offered to have her drop the child off at my house on the way to a meeting so that she can have her meeting to herself, but she has declined.

bottom line though-she is not drunk.