View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
jimhere

Most of the meetings here are open. There are few that provide childcare. Most don't. I've been off work recently, so I've been attending some noon meetings at a local hall. There are coloring books for the kids and they seem to do OK. This hall isn't like many of the halls I've been to, there is a healthy energy there, people are recovering, not staying sick, so I think this helps.

I do understand the dilemma of the single parent who may not be able to afford a baby sitter. Last night I went to a meeting and there was a young woman there who had what sounded like a solid footing in recovery but had had a child in the last few years and hadn't been able to get to meetings. She had her little boy there, I would say about fifteen months old, crawling around and happy little kid. He made the usual kid noises and what have you, but wasn't disruptive at all. While his mom was talking he crawled around and ended up by me, wanting to be held, so I picked him up and bounced him on my lap and entertained him. Totally destroyed my image you know-LOL!

At one time kids in meetings annoyed the hell out of me, but sometimes I have to go back to the question "What would the master do?"
Jim

Last edited by jimhere; 06-05-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling