View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Well, I wasn't going to say this because we joke that if you do something "nice," then tell someone about it, it doesn't count - but none of you here go to meetings with me, so what the hell.

I sponsor a young woman who has a 19 month old son. We also have an Al-anon meeting at the same time, and one of the women has a four year old and a nine year old. There's a playroom in the church where we meet, so I've been slipping my 14 yr old daughter five bucks to come to the meeting with me & keep the kids busy so everyone gets a meeting. Nobody knows that Jade's getting paid - and it's not much, but Jade values 12 step programs for what they've done for her own family. We just keep it on the down low, and it works out well. If something happens that my daughter can't come with me, there's no built up expectation that "it's her job," and those rare times, we all take turns with the kids - including the newcomer parents. It's an exercise in acceptance, and the rare time someone bitches about disruptions, the bottom-line question is asked: "Rather have the parent(s) in here sober or out there drunk?" The point is made.

Peace & Love,
Sugah