View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceteach

So although I am happy for her that she is trying, I am also realistic because of all that I have seen on these forums and all that I have been through and all that I have learned throughout this from all those who came before me.

Marle, I think I know what you are feeling, as I found myself taking that approach when my son started his "recovery" program on suboxone about 5 months after I started reading here. I certainly wasn't holding my breath (still am not) and really felt like, well, good for him, but I wasn't all giddy-like or anything. In fact, if you remember, I left town on a pre-planned spring break while he was in the detox/hospital. I had a nice vacation and felt pretty serene, all-in-all. My son was calling daily to give me updates and I was happy to talk with him, but wasn't obsessing over it. I credit our feelings to being "in the know" and in our own recovery. If anything about all of this gives me a calm feeling, it is that our children made these decisions because THEY wanted to get sober for themselves.

I think it is sweet that your daughter is aware how difficult it is for parents and families to worry about their drug-addicted children. Let her feel her feelings and maybe just continue with the "Oh?" and "Huh" type answers when she calls. It's her "party" now and she gets to own whatever truths she discovers over these next few weeks. You, well, YOU are already walking the path of recovery so you know it doesn't matter what others are thinking.

You sound wonderful, by the way!