Thread: day by day
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by getbusylivin View Post
About a year ago, I realized that the urge to get home and get drunk was the number one priority in my life. Not my wife, not my kids, not my job, but just the beer. I started missing my kids school functions, or making excuses not to do things with my family in the evenings so that I could stay home and get drunk. A lot of times, I waited until they were in bed, wife was asleep on the couch, and then I would really tear into it and drink as much as I could as fast as I could. I tried to "slow down" or just drink on the weekends as you hear people say, and needless to say, failed miserably.
Son of a gun, as the years pass for me in sobriety I keep hearing my story shared more and more by different people. It's good to know my situation wasn't so unique after all. But I guess I should mention that while I considered myself a functioning alcoholic, I understand now that I wasn't functioning very highly in a few areas of my life, mostly in my marriage. Before I made the choice to quit I'd given up my wife, home, pets, etc.

I'm glad you're here and I hope you find the inspiration and support you need, and if it becomes too difficult to do it on your own I hope you'll reach out to AA or any recovery program for help.

Wow, I'm still shocked at how similar our stories are!