View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hello-kitty

Recommendation for Court Ordered Rehab

Hi there. I received a call from my ex's attorney this weekend. She left a message requesting that I write a letter to the judge recommending my ex for a court ordered rehab program that will run concurrently with his prison sentence.

Obviously the guy needs rehab - he's a crack and meth addict for pete's sake who is a complete drain on society. If rehab is available he deserves a chance to go. Maybe it will help him. And I'm happy to tell the judge that same thing. But quite frankly I don't care what happens to my ex anymore. My life is much simpler and peaceful when he is locked up in prison. And I don't care all that much if he ever gets better. I like things better when he is far away from us. I've accepted that he may be one of those addicts that are "unreachable and unhelpable". I would almost prefer he die (I know that is a terrible, selfish thing to say).

However, I don't mind writing a letter, because it is the right thing to do. The guy is human after all, and if he wants to get better, I guess I should encourage it. He IS my sons father and I'm sure that my son would want him to go to rehab and quit using crack - if he was old enough to talk and know what was going on....

I just don't want my jaded anger & disenchantment with rehab and my ex to show through in the letter. Does anyone have any advice on what to say?