View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BayAreaPhoenix

To all of us Spouses and Partners

Hey guys.

How was everyone's weekend? I hope there were some bright moments in there for everyone.

Last week was a really hard week, and it continued through the weekend it seems. I'm not talking about me - or just me - but many of us here.

I needed to remind myself today, and I'm not sure how welcome this is going to be to other spouses and partners out there, but this is for me and those of us who are needing this particular bonk upside the head - here it goes ...

THEY ARE NOT OUR CHILDREN!

They are full grown adults. They have managed, and we have let them, to turn us into parental figures or themselves into adolescent roles (whichever way you want to look at it). I read our posts, and we are all so worried about them; where they are going, how are they going to survive, what are they going to eat, where are they going to sleep, etc.?

Hellllloooooo, how are we going to survive, eat and sleep? They are sucking up our money, our emotions, etc. What happens when we don't have enough left to eat a descent meal because we were busy trying to take care of them - and they're still doing what they're doing?

Not trying to offend, and saying this in the kindest and gentlest way to all of us needing this reminder, me too. For me, I have got to step back and let my A be the adult he technically is. I have got to step forward and be the adult I KNOW that I am!

It's funny. I have no need to rescue my AH anymore, but reading these posts over this last week, it has brought up some anxieties about these things that I thought were long since gone. So - again, no offense. Only love and hugs and thought I'd share my self-reminder in case anyone else might need the same.

:ghug