Old 05-10-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bodychek

My experience in getting sober is that the alcohol was just a symptom of the problem that resides in my brain. I seeked escape from my life by drinking. I also tried many other ways to escape and find that thing that finally would make me happy. I got good grades, excelled at sports, went to college, got the killer job, got married, had kids, etc. because I thought that if I achieved it or had it I would finally be happy. Once I realized that the problem was with my spirituality, my thinking, and my choices I was ready to begin recovery.

Now for AA. I currently am in AA and it has done wonders for me. I am working the steps and I seem to feel a bit better at each step along the way. The key to this is that I found a sponsor to help me through the steps and guide me as well as I have connected and talk to other alcoholics on a daily basis. Just because you don't like the meetings doesn't mean you can't get a sponsor or do the steps. Based on my experience I recommend you don't try to do it alone. Just my two cents.