Old 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
miss communicat

Jen and Suki,

Congrats on your new life and sobriety!

For me, a woman who has had long term sobriety both IN AA, as well as 7 years OUT of AA (before I did drink again)and who is now 2 and a half years sober again IN AA, I will share that for me, the quality of my sobriety vastly improves according to my spiritual condition.

There are other avenues besides AA for spiritual guidance and connection. Believe me, if sobriety were as simple as adopting a spiritual philosophy, i'd be all set. But i wasn't when I was sober without AA, because I longed for the rigourous honesty and fellowship of others who share my path.

However, AA provides much more than fellowship. (I love the saying that "AA is more than the spirit of fellowship, it is the fellowship of the spirit". But I digress..)

AA provides a perfect program of recovery that reconnects the suffering alcoholic with his or her Higher Power. AA reminds the self centered alcohohlic to fit herself to be of service to her higher power and to others who suffer from this condition. AA teaches the immature alcoholic how to grow up.

Are you destined to relapse if you don't go to AA?

I don't know. But the word "relapse" concerns me. I prefer to call it what it truly is: the decision to drink.

Will you decide to drink again without AA?

I don't know. But why not give yourself the best shot and work the steps before you decide?