View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
TigerLili

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
You know when I first got sober I thought the same thing, turns out I was very wrong, there were people not hanging around the bar or the keg, they were drinking sodas or tea and having a grand time not drinking. When I was drinking I was with the folks who drank so I thought every one drank, they don't. What I found even more amazing was the people who did drink did not care if I drank or not!!!!

Ask your self these questions "Do I ask people who are not drinking when I am drinking why they are not drinking? Do I care if they are drinking or not?

I was amazed when I went to my first pro foot ball game after I got sober that the line for sodas was longer then the line for beer!!!!

I have found that unless I go to a happy hour (Which I don't) or a keg party (Which I don't) that most people do not drink and those that do drink do not drink like I drank!
I understand what you are saying and I think that in some cases you are probably correct, but in my case I am surrounded by a big drinking culture and I need to have some ideas up my sleeve because in my department at work, at least, people DO ask why someone is not drinking. The only non-drinker in my team is about to be let go and I wonder how much of that is because he doesn't drink with everyone else and so isn't seen as being a team player.

Clearly, I may have to change my job but that would be a last resort. Right now I just need some strategies on how to NOT drink when I'm around drinkers at work and how to field the questions.