Thread: Taking its Toll
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MLH2282

Question Taking its Toll

My father is an alcoholic. Actually, he abuses alcohol. He drinks CONSTANTLY. He doesn't really have anything else going on, so he sits in his room all day drinking Vodka. I have been coping with this for the past two years. Lately, he has been getting much worse. He is often disoriented and he can't remember anything. He has such a short temper. He lashes out at anyone, for anything. I feel sorry for my mother, because he takes out a lot of his rage on her. He yells at her for trying to prevent him from looking like a fool in public. He even lashes out physically in public. He has bent her fingers back and he pinches her. I can't believe it has come to this, but I can't do anything about it.

I have seen him progressively deteriorate, and I am scared of what will come next. My mom told me that she found him this morning at 5 am in his office, in the dark. He snarled at her, saying he was just disoriented. There was glass everywhere, he was completely out of it, and he blamed it on being tired.

I guess I am just wondering what comes next? Up until now, he hasn't had any severe health problems, but he hasn't consistently gone to the doctor either. He has lost so much weight, and the skin on his nose looks like it's about to fall off. I know everyone is different, and alcoholism affects people in different ways, but what physical side effects could come next?