Taking its Toll

Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Taking its Toll

My father is an alcoholic. Actually, he abuses alcohol. He drinks CONSTANTLY. He doesn't really have anything else going on, so he sits in his room all day drinking Vodka. I have been coping with this for the past two years. Lately, he has been getting much worse. He is often disoriented and he can't remember anything. He has such a short temper. He lashes out at anyone, for anything. I feel sorry for my mother, because he takes out a lot of his rage on her. He yells at her for trying to prevent him from looking like a fool in public. He even lashes out physically in public. He has bent her fingers back and he pinches her. I can't believe it has come to this, but I can't do anything about it.

I have seen him progressively deteriorate, and I am scared of what will come next. My mom told me that she found him this morning at 5 am in his office, in the dark. He snarled at her, saying he was just disoriented. There was glass everywhere, he was completely out of it, and he blamed it on being tired.

I guess I am just wondering what comes next? Up until now, he hasn't had any severe health problems, but he hasn't consistently gone to the doctor either. He has lost so much weight, and the skin on his nose looks like it's about to fall off. I know everyone is different, and alcoholism affects people in different ways, but what physical side effects could come next?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First I'm not a Dr and second I cannot see into the future. But I can say that what can happen in the progression of alcoholism is that once a person begins to drink continuously they become physically dependent on having alcohol in their system. Then something happens, there's a snow storm and they can't get out to replenish their supply or they get a flu bug and can't keep the alcohol down. (both of these happened to my mother) At this point they're in danger of going into dt's. Delerium tremors are a life threatening condition and immediate emergency care is necessary.

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. Please be safe.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Loss of neurological functioning is common in late stage alcoholism. Inability to remember events, loss of the "filter" most of us have between our thoughts and our actions.

What's next? I don't know. If you're looking for help, you may want to try to start the 'involuntary rehab' process. If your father is a danger to himself or others (which it sounds like he is), you can have the police come over. They have the ability to involuntarily detain him in a mental health facility if they think he's dangerous.

And, as Easeful said, the DTs can be life threatening if they're ever in a situation where they can't have alcohol. That's why it's always better to detox under the eye of trained medical types.

I'm very sorry you have to deal with this.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been researching different ways to try and help my father. It is hard merely watching and waiting for something to intervene. I have noticed the shaking if he hasn't had anything to drink. I know withdrawal can be dangerous, and it often scares me. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I hope he can come back from this. Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unhappy My mother

I watched my mothers alcoholism from stage 1 at an early age...maybe when I was 6 and she was 29, until I was 31 and she was in stage 3. I can discuss side effects she was ignoring and shed light by sharing my experience. My mother died on April 1st 2008 of Sudden Cardiac Death probably due to smoking and alcoholism. When a 54 year old dies of cardiac arrest with a history like hers they probably don't do an autopsy unless requested. My mother never tried to seek help and maybe knew something was bothering her but was never diagnosed with anything. She didn't get the to the doctor in time and now she is addiction free. Please feel free to message me if you want to talk.
April