View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Brentsgirl)))

First of all, take a deep breath.

I can understand that you want him home, but as long as he is using, it's not going to do any good. You say that "we can decide what the next step is"...unfortunately, the "you" part of "we" can't do anything about his addiction.

One of the hardest things about loving an addict, is having to let them go and find their own way. Even if he were to come home, if he's still using, there are going to be more and more "binges" until he just doesn't come back.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but as a recovering addict who left an active addict boyfriend, I know that the only thing you can do is stop focusing on him so much. You love him, you miss him. His addiction has nothing to do with you, other than the way you are affected by it. He isn't addicted because of any thing you have done or said. He is also not going to get clean because of anything you do or say. If love could cure an addict, this forum wouldn't be here, much less have so many people going through the same thing.

I'm sorry your heart is breaking, and I know how bad it hurts. But if he keeps using, I can promise you it is only going to get worse.

He's an adult and he needs to face consequences of his using. Even if he goes to rehab, if he's not doing it for himself (but for you or your mom), it won't last. He's got to want recovery for himself, and he has to want it really, really bad.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy