View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

Hey crisco ---

You've gotten some good suggestions here tonight....one that really caught my eye was.......:

crutch0108 said, "...Remember that whether you're talking about Christian sponsor or Atheist sponsor the most important word is the "sponsor" part..." AMEN ta dat, bubba!!!...lol

I'm kinda where mle-sober is too.....I just reread your original post and it seems that you have something in mind for a recovery program for you, and folks just don't have it to offer to you....and what they do offer, you find all the excuses as to why they won't work.....hmmmmm

I find it hard to believe that there are no atheists in recovery there in OC. I realize that OC is pretty well full-up with born-again, fundamentalist Christians, but someone's religious beliefs have nothing to do with how they will sponsor you. A sponsor doesn't tell a sponsee how to work the steps; a sponsor just uses their experience as to how they worked the steps, and helps the sponsee find a way to work them for himself/herself..... (o:

I live in Houston (what I like to call my little corner of the bible-belt), and after just a few meetings, I found myself a sponsor, and what do you know....she was (and still is) an atheist (her sponsor was a born-again believer).....woooooweeeee But I have used another person as a sponsor for a brief period of time, and this person was a born-again Christian.....didn't bother our relationship atall..... (o:

I'm putting in a link here (I hope it works) to a previous post of mine. How I worked the 12-Steps of AA......as an atheist...Plz note that I am not telling you, or anyone, that this is what/how they should work the steps (as an atheist), but it is my ES&H with the steps..............:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1662451 (titled: an Atheist's AA Program & Step Work)
It's post #19 of the thread titled: Sometimes I wonder, under the Alcoholism forum, dated 02/04/08

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this has helped, or at least not hindered you, or anyone.....if you want to PM or e-mail me, just check out my profile; all the info is there. I'd be more than willing to help you trudge the road of happy destiny.....in the right directio..... (o:

NoelleR