View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Signal30

My mother is the EXACT same way! She considered her brother/my uncle a alcoholic because he had multiple DUI's, lost his job, his family, and eventually his life to alcoholism. She doesent belittle me for going to AA, but she doesent think I'm an alcoholic. She believes everyone needs something to get them by in life and sees that thing as being AA with me.

I did everything I could to hide my drinking from my mother, and even though she saw me drinking, I did my best to make sure I was watching how much I drank so I wouldn't worry her. As soon as my mom was gone, the real drinking began.

I figure it has to do with mom's loving their kids, and not wanting to believe there babies have such a horrible disease. Denial, even when it's harmful, tends to be a coping mechanism for some people.

Denial obviously doesent work for us alcoholics. I wouldn't get too upset over it. As long as you are completely honest with yourself, and work a program of recovery, you will be the child, brother/sister, mom/dad, husband/wife, and a good person any parent in denial would be proud of.

Tom