View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
unigirl
One Day At A Time

Hi 22. I know how this feels to a degree. My parents are both in A.A., but they still were in shock when i told them - and said i can't be! They didnt know the full extent of my drinkign though- i was a functioning alchoholic too - and a very good liar/actor! My parents didnt take long to come round and accept that i am- esspecially when i told them about how my drinking REALLY was... i think it was, initially, just denial on their part. No parent wants their child to go through pain.
Since they have accepted it they have been a real help- and both have often pointed out things about my drinking/behaviour that caused alarm bells for them - my mum had her worries but didn't want to label me an alcoholic - i guess she just hoped i was going through a bad phase. Discovering my alcholism has made lots of things cleaer for me and them - about my past. I beilieve your parents may very well accept your alcoholism too- if they have more insight into it as an 'illness' and how alcohol is just symptom?

I have mates that still cannot accept i am an alcohlic. This can bother me but i just remind myself they do not have the knowledge i have about alcoholism - they have their pre - conceptions like many. As long as i know what i am and do my best to recover i feel i will be ok. Support from all my mates would be wonderful - but it isn't a necessity, A.A, on other hand is my support and is a necesity for me to stay sober. Hope this helps!