View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
22NGONE

I'm Not An Alcoholic

Hello All,

Well most of you know my life is in a bit of turmoil, so I thought I'd throw one more log on the fire since you all have been so helpful with everything else.

O.K. Well, thanks to lawyers and police and the general happiness of a marriage collapsing under it's own weight, I had to move out of my house. Had to move in with my parents, which while pathetic, isn't entirely bad, for instance, I never have to do laundry...

However there is one recurring problem which I would like to share with all of you people far wiser than me:

My parents take every opportunity to tell me I'm NOT an alcoholic. Even though I have told them point blank, MANY times, I go to AA meetings EVERY day and I even read to them from my 24 hour a Day Book and the Big Book, they just refuse to acknowledge it.

When they see or hear of someone who has lost their job, or has multiple DUIs or drinks themself into the hospital, they proclaim, that's a REAL alcoholic. I've told them there are functional alcoholics, your son is one, but still to no avail.

I appreciate their support in my break up and all but this keeps popping up. I'm thinking if I'm a drunk that makes them some kind of failure, yet the fact I attempted suicide, am seeing more shrinks than you can shake a stick at, and am on medication to keep me even keeled doesn't seem to upset them at all????

Can't wait to read you replies.