View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GiveLove

It was a very painful thing to get rid of my picture too......that picture of my dad as a good and supportive dad, the dad I wanted and (thought I) needed. I wanted him to be that so badly that I spent years tearing myself apart trying to get him to change into that person.

It hurt a lot, more than I could express. I feel for you, easeful.

But there is life beyond it. Honest there is. Letting him go to be whatever kind of man he was, whatever man he wanted to be -- even if he didn't want me -- was a powerful thing. Ending my own suffering freed me to become stronger and saner.

You know what? I still sent letters. They held no expectations. I knew he wouldn't write back, and I knew I couldn't possibly know how he felt about any of them. I wrote them for ME, because although he was not the father I wanted, he was the one that I had, and part of my personal support system is to keep the family informed about my life so I'm not alone in this world, I'm part of a tribe of people, some good, some bad, some by birth, some by choice, and it somehow helped me to be in this world. I didn't really care what he did with them, because it wasn't about him....very selfish.

As a postscript, he still had them all when he died. He may not have had a clue how to express himself, and he may not have been a good father at all, but he did care. You may choose to write or to not write, but do whatever it is for YOU, not out of guilt and not because you want him to react in a certain way. He may just not be capable of it. I know my dad wasn't.